Delicious, quick and easy to make and incredibly healthy! This vegan friendly recipe is fab for lunches or lighter mid week dinners. Did you know cumin has very powerful antioxidant qualities and helps to prevent chronic disease such as cancer and heart disease and slows the ageing process? Lentils are a great source of protein, fibre and iron and carrots contribute to your 5-a-day. Ginger and garlic both improve your circulation and fight infection.
Tip: Make double quantities and freeze half.
1 medium onion, chopped
500g carrots, grated
1 cup red lentils, rinse well
2 tsp cumin seeds, whole
Generous pinch chilli flakes
1 small clove garlic, crushed
1cm square ginger chopped small
1 litre vegetable stock
1tbsp coconut fat
Optional: 4 tbsp 0% fat natural organic yogurt or 4tbsp coconut milk
- Fry the cumin seeds and chilli in a dry saucepan until they start to pop. Remove 1/4 of them from the pan.
- Add the coconut fat and the onion and turn down the heat, gently fry the onion until soft
- Add in the grated carrot, ginger, garlic, lentils and vegetable stock and simmer for 20 minutes
- Remove from the heat and blend with a hand held blender or food processor; top with the remaining toasted spices and serve
- Optional: For extra protein and creaminess you may add a heaped tablespoon of natural yogurt to each bowl; or a tbsp of coconut milk or nothing at all – its tasty all ways!
- Serve with nan bread sliced into strips; if you are counting calories, omit the nan bread and have an extra bowl of soup if you are still hungry.