This salad is so easy and delicious and packed full of goodness! This works well as a main meal or a side dish. These quantities will serve two as a generous side dish.
Brown rice or quinoa (about ½ cup uncooked) – cooked and cooled
Lower fat feta cheese 30g
Olives – handful, cut in half
Celery, two sticks finely chopped
1 Red peppers, finely chopped
Cherry tomatoes, 150g- 200g halved
Parsley or basil leaves, a finely chopped
½ red onion or 3 spring onions, finely chopped
1 large carrot – grated
Juice of half a lemon
Salt and pepper
Tbsp of virgin olive oil
Tip: vary the ingredients to suit your own taste
- Once the rice or quinoa is cooked, cool it quickly by running cold water over it and set it aside to drain.
- Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl with the exception of the tomatoes
- Add the rice or quinoa, and the lemon juice; season with a little salt and plenty of pepper; stir well
- Transfer to an air tight container and store in the fridge.
- Just before serving add the tomatoes and the olive oil.
What is so good about this salad?
The brown rice or quinoa are whole grains and full or fibre and complex carbohydrates to fill you up and give you lasting energy. They are also rich in B vitamins and minerals which support nervous system function and energy production. They are both naturally gluten free and easy to digest.
The carrot and pepper are rich in beta-carotene which is an anti-oxidant helping to slow the ageing process and prevent cancer; the tomatoes, peppers and lemon juice are rich in vitamin C needed for a strong immune system; lemon juice also has direct anti-cancer activity. Parsley is very high in anti-oxidants again protecting the body from ageing and disease; basil is thought to aid cognitive function.
Olives and good quality olive oil, unheated has been shown to improve one’s cholesterol profile. The cheese is low in fat and high in protein and calcium for strong bones.